Tuesday, April 6, 2010

" Privacy 2.0: Give a little, Take a Little" from The Economist print edition

In recent time, social networking sites have given the option to let users keep their profiles and information private. As we see on Facebook, these days, we can block basically anything we want from anyone we want to. Some may find this annoying at times when they are trying to FB 'stalk' (you all do it, don't deny it!) and see that someone has made their profile completely private and you have no way to access their page. But, as we approach graduation, we are looking for jobs, and since Facebook has become so widely popular, almost anyone can set up an account and search your name, in which it's better that we keep our Thursday-Saturday night pics unavailable. So, I guess these privacy settings can be a big help for people our age while we are in search of jobs and career opportunities.

But, in this article, we find that many people are using the privacy settings more and more these days, because they don't want everyone in the world to get a peak at their personal information. Most people use this site to connect with their past (i.e. adult users). With this new rage of privacy settings comes a slight downfall for advertisers. Advertisers use peoples information to collect data for their "behavioral advertising", which lets them track peoples activities on the Internet without them knowing. As we all know and can see when we log on to our Facebook accounts, advertisers are sponsored on the right side of the page. They use key words from our profile pages in order to find advertisements that best suit our likings. If we have our pages set on private, the advertisers have no way of collecting the data needed in order to put these advertisements up.

Mark Zuckerberg, Facebook creator, advertises a free service with a small price. The cost for this service is "the idea of targeted advertising"; the more information you put out, the better they can get advertisements out. The more profit they make, the happier the advertisers are. But, how happy are you with your information being put out there, when you aren't too keene on the idea in the first place, for the benefits of pesky advertisers? Eh.

http://www.economist.com/specialreports/displaystory.cfm?story_id=15350984


4 comments:

  1. Funny you talk about this, because this past weekend my mother said that one of her employees took a sick day, and one of her vindictive employees showed my mom a link to that person's FB page, showing pictures from her "sick day" which was really a "day trip" day. Well, my mother wasn't pleased.

    My mother also told me that due to my profile picture, which features me gloriously lifting a stein of beer, that she would not hire me. Now granted, all of my many bosses from my many jobs are my friend on FB, have no privacy settings, and don't give two hoots if I drink a beer on my off-time, but I see her point.

    I guess I thought that if you show up on time, do your work, and don't cause problems, you're golden, and what you do on your personal time is not important, but oh, times have changed.

    PS: Do they really expect us to be "professional" 24/7? or just be really good at hiding it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am guilty of having 2 FB accounts, one is for school and the other is for Networking and e-mail. I only did this because I know there are many pictures of me with a beer in my hand or shot glass which would probably not be something a future employee of mine would like.

    It's very scary how a FB page, picture can do to a potential employee. I have many privacy settings on both my accounts, like Private only friends can see my page and some if not all my pictures.

    The scary thing is though, I heard even if your profile is blocked, potential employees can still get in?! not fair!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now that i am graduating I think about this all of the time. I have many alcoholic beverages in hand in my pictures and i havent had to be careful about it until now...When i go to apply for jobs or apply for interviews are my future or non future bosses (due to my fb pics) going to look me up on fb? It is crazy how you can find almost anybody on FB these days and look at their pictures. You have to be careful about opting out of privacy controls because most of the time it is automatically set to letting everybody be able to see your pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to refer to a comment i left on a previous blog. You should not put any information online that you want to keep private. No matter how "private" you keep your pages people can still get your info if they really want to. I think it is best to get rid of facebook all together when looking for a job.

    If you decide to keep it make sure you get rid of any incriminating evidence.

    ReplyDelete