Tuesday, March 9, 2010

"Facebook Will Allow Users to Share Location" By Nick Bilton

I know, I know. Another blog about Facebook. It has literally taken over my life. Another improvement (or is it?) to Facebook will begin starting in April. A new status updater is coming to the Facebook world, and this status seems a bit more intrusive. In the next month, Facebook will be adding a new application of sorts, we will be able to post our current location, or get to see the current location of our FB friends. Eh. No thanks. 

With this new addition to the highly popular social network, you can post to your friends or whoever else you want to see, where you are. I think I have seen something like this recently on there, but maybe this is something different. Anyways, the same rules apply. The privacy policy will allow you to chose who you want to see this status and who you don't. This article states that with the 400 million FB users, 50% log in once a day, while 100 million use their mobiles. The FB team takes into consideration the feedback that its users have, their 'likes' and 'dislikes', which is why they are taking their time with this new design. Google and Twitter both have added this type of application to their sites as well. 

I don't know about you guys, but I feel like this is getting one step closer to stalker-nation. I mean, really, do we need this? I think people complain about how Twitter seems to invasive with the constant updates of what people are doing or thinking, and now on Facebook we get to actually see where you are in the world!? I just don't understand. I don't know how this is all going to fold or what it will look like, but I definitely feel that it is unnecessary. 

What are your thoughts? Should we start a group to stop it? 

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/03/09/facebook-will-allow-users-to-share-location/?ref=technology

2 comments:

  1. I've never heard of this up until now, and I'm honestly not even surprised by it. People, in my opinion put way to much personal information on the internet, especially now with all these social networking medias. It's just another mean for someone to steal your identity, because now they can show up to where you are and that's just asking for trouble. Even without this new locator application, people are putting where they go on there AIM, Twitter, and Facebook status' regardless, so I don't really know how this will affect the world, but I have to agree with you- we truly are becoming such a stalker-nation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this idea is very creepy. I do not see the need for this at all. If people really want to share with their friends where they are going to be why can't they just call them and tell them. Half the people put in their status' where they are or where they are going anyways. I think Facebook is getting out of control with all these different groups and applications.

    ReplyDelete