Tuesday, February 9, 2010

"Is Twitter the Next Second Life?"- Todd Wasserman



Tweet. Tweet. Twitter was all the hype in the beginning of 2009. Everyone was jumping on the Twitter bandwagon, celebrities, small companies, big companies, news stations and the regular ol' human race. Twitter gets mixed reviews. Some people love it, live for it, like the Kardashian sisters and Perez Hilton, and others think it is biggest waste of time and don't care for it.  Most people are a fan of following celebs; getting to read what they are doing at every hour, of every day makes us feel as if we're their best friend. (Okay, I  will admit, I am a victim of following the celebs, but I SWEAR I am not an avid twitterer or tweeter(?)) 

But anyways, in the article "Is Twitter the Next Second Life?", Todd Wasserman explains that the big companies such as GEICO and Verizon are not amung the top people to follow. Even the smaller,lesser known companies have gathered more followers than these larger companies. That makes me think back to "The Long Tail" article by Chris Anderson. The lesser-known create a larger following than these world-wide corporations. Also, these huge companies are at the bottom of the tree, while celebrities such as funny man Ashton Kutcher and the infamous Oprah Winfrey have over 3 and 4 million followers. So what is it this all about? Wasserman explains that the best way to get your name out their is to latch on to one of these ever-so popular personalities such as Kutcher or Winfrey. 

What I think is smart about that idea Wasserman shouts out is that I have seen it done through Kim Kardashian's twitter page. I actually heard through the grapevine that Kardashian was being paid an absurd amount of money to advertise through her tweets promoting new products to try or something of that sort. But, Twitter is not as popular as it was a year ago. The tweets have dwindle which could be a reason for the lack of followers for these companies. But who knows how long Twitter will be around for. Maybe these companies don't have to worry about the downfall of their twitter followings. 

http://www.brandweek.com/bw/content_display/news-and-features/direct/e3i2a2383a07ad64ff8a8e8473f0cd169a1?pn=1

1 comment:

  1. I have to admit that I am someone who tweets all the time but not so much to follow celebrities. I use it as an outlet for "my followers" to know what I am doing, thinking or even feeling. If what you heard about Kim Kardashian is true, I really wouldn't be surprised at all. I love her show but I think this is a prime example of how companies are using different strategies for the target audience to buy their product or service. I don't consider this type of advertising to be bad but more of a different approach compared to a commercial or a magazine ad. Great post. I will look out for this type of advertising on the celebrities and see if it ends up to ring true.

    ReplyDelete